Saturday 21 May 2011

CHARLES BEAN GOT SHOT IN THE LEG!


Hello there again, good lady or sir.

Ah, the war, it brings back so many memories. I travelled to many places during my time as a war correspondent, following the troops to Cape Helles and Anzac Cove in Gallipoli, Turkey, and also to France and Egypt.

Oh the memories from Gallipoli, too many to count! I do remember though that one night, August 6, I think was the date, when I was following John Monash’s* 4th Infantry Brigade at the start of the Battle of Sari Blair that I was shot by a stray Turkish bullet! Oh the pain, I remember it now, the bullet hit me right below the thigh, too. I never got the bullet removed either, because it would’ve meant that I would’ve had to leave Gallipoli. I toughed it out instead, retiring to my dugout for a few days, and my good fellow soldiers visited me to inform me on the progress of the battle.

I did eventually leave Gallipoli, on the night of the 17th of December, a few nights before the final evacuation of ANZAC. However I returned in 1919 with a few photographers, Hubert Wilkins and George Lambert, who were taking pictures for the Australian Historical Mission. I showed them the area and ANZAC cove and also my dugout which I occupied in 1915!

I wonder what ANZAC cove looks like now…

*- Never really liked that man.

2 comments:

  1. A very well written post with a lot of interesting and well chosen information. Great image as well. Hubert Wilkins is a fascinating man. I remember reading his biography a few years ago. You mention that Bean did not like Monash. Why was this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you kind comments good sir!
    I do not remember why I didn't like John Monash at the moment but when I do... I will tell you in my next post.. >:D

    ReplyDelete