Sunday 15 May 2011

An Introduction!

Why hello there good lady, sir, or variation thereupon.
I am Charles Edwin Woodrow Bean, and it is delightful to make your acquaintance!

I was born in 1879, on November 18th, in Bathurst, New South Wales, in Australia.
When I was 10, in 1889, my family moved to England, where I attended Brentwood in Essex, then in 1894, I went to Clifton College, before I won a scholarship to Hertford college. I returned to Australia in 1904, and until 1908 I worked as a lawyer. In 1908 I joined The Sunday Morning Herald as a reporter.

In 1915, I sailed with the main body of the Australian Imperial Force to Anzac Cove. Only weeks later, I accompanied two Australian brigades at Cape Helles. I assisted wounded men under fire, and I was recommended for the Military Cross. But being a civilian, I was ineligible.
I was a rather important person, of course, being a schoolmaster, judge’s associate, barrister journalist, husband, father of an adopted child, war correspondent and historian. I was most famous for being the editor (and writer of Volumes I to VI) of the Official History of Australia in the War of 1914 – 1918. I was even offered knighthood, but declined.
In 1952, I became the chairman of the Australian War Memorial board.

I perished in 1968, in the
Concord Repatriation General Hospital. Sad, sad event that was.

:(

3 comments:

  1. We highly enjoyed meeting and getting to know you Mr Bean. We would like to know a little more about the War! HAHA THAT RHYMES :)

    Much Love and Affection,
    El & V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good introduction to Sir Bean, with some interesting hyperlinks. Do you know any more about his personal life? Was he married? Children?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thankyou Elena and Viv, and 'mcwilkins'
    Why yes, I was married! However unfortunately, no mini-Beans were procured.

    Good day.

    ReplyDelete